I made this last night and it is delicious.
Its adapted from a recipe I found on Pinterest, but I tweaked it a bit:
Cheesy Veggie & Bean Quinoa
– half of a medium-large onion, chopped
– olive oil
– 1-2 garlic gloves, minced
– fresh spinach (about 10 oz)
– fresh tomatoes, diced (2-3 medium heirloom)
– black beans (if canned, drained)
– 3/4 cup of quinoa
– 2 cups water
– sharp cheddar cheese
1. heat oil in medium-to-large saucepan over medium head. add onion and cook until soft. add cumin (approx 1 tablespoon) and garlic, saute for 1 minute. stir in spinach and diced tomatoes. cook about 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
2. stir in black beans, quinoa, and water. cover and bring to a boil. reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. stir in cheese (half a cup or so). add salt and pepper to taste.
great as a side dish or main course.
*suggestion: hollow out yellow/orange/or red bell peppers, add quinoa mixture, cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. remove foil, add a sprinkle of cheese to the top, and bake an additional 15 minutes. (its helpful to add about an inch of veggie broth to the bottom of the pan holding the peppers)